Friday, November 20, 2009

Doctors Appointment

Today we went to the doctor, but it wasn't our first official prenatal appointment. I simply needed to sign up for insurance and get a referral to an OB/GYN. At this point I am seven weeks pregnant and my due date is July 4, 2010. My first prenatal appointment is set for December 9th. I'm excited and a bit nervous. I really hope they do a sonogram. It would put my mind at ease.

The whole insurance and finding a doctor process wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected. I bombarded the doctor with questions to which he was very accommodating in answering. I'm very concerned about this whole swine flu vaccination. Personally, I do not feel that flu vaccinations are safe during pregnancy, especially the swine flu vaccine since the drug companies are in such a rush to get the stuff out that it probably hasn't been adequately tested. I mean, we have no idea how this stuff will affect unborn fetuses and I sure as hell don't want my child to be the guinea pig for this whole swine flu vaccination experiment. I wondered if maybe I was being paranoid, but the doctor said that he didn't recommend it, at least not for the first two trimesters. He said if I started having flu like symptoms to just come in and they would put me on Tamiflu. It's a tough decision to make as an expecting mother, but I feel that I'm doing what's best for my baby.

I left my doctors appointment feeling a little more assured. Before I left the office the nurse practitioner placed my pregnancy test in a zip lock bag and handed it to me. I asked what I needed it for and she said that I might want to hang on to it and put it in a scrap book or something. What?! Seriously? First of all, I don't scrapbook, and even if I did, ewww! I peed on that! Do people really do that?
Weird.

No comments: