Wednesday, June 23, 2010

38 Weeks...Almost There

As I near the end of my pregnancy, I've been busy trying to put the finishing touches on things: making sure bags are packed, that the house is clean, that I know what to do and where to go, that the baby stuff is all ready, and generally trying to make sure we didn't miss anything.

I had another ultrasound this week. This was one of the better scans and we got some amazing shots of Zoe's face. What a beautiful baby! Seeing her face makes it all worth it. I can't wait to meet her!

My doctor wanted to do another scan to check the weight of the baby since she was measuring large at 31 weeks. Turns out she's about 8lb 5oz, and she's traverse! Since she is getting so large, the doctor wants to induce next week to minimize any potential harm to the baby. She called this morning to discuss the option of performing an external cephalic version prior to induction in order to get the baby turned into the correct position, assuming that the baby is still traverse and has not corrected herself. I'm not really sure what happened. Zoe had assumed the head down position at 31 weeks, but she is very long and moves around quite a bit, even at 38 weeks. The ultrasound tech once again commented that she was the hardest baby of the day because she moved around so much. We were both surprised that she is still moving so much being that Zoe is so big and I am so small.

The fact that she is traverse makes me nervous. I would like to avoid having a c-section if necessary, and like all moms, I was really hoping for a smooth delivery. Other than that, everything else looks good. I haven't had any problems with fluid levels, blood pressure, blood sugar, etc. Strep test came back negative, as well. The only thing I've had trouble with is swelling of my feet and ankles, and more recently some swelling in my fingers. My knees have been bothering me lately from all the weight, mostly just when I try to squat or bend when I put the most weight on them.

Tomorrow we have our last appointment before the big day. We should find out tomorrow what day next week we will be scheduled for delivery. I am both excited and nervous, and praying for a safe and speedy delivery.

No comments: